Having a comprehensive exam and professional cleaning every six months serves as the foundation of successful maintenance and treatment. Exams help:
- Identify problems that you may not see or feel.
- Uncover early stages of tooth decay or gum disease.
- Reveal signs of vitamin deficiencies or more serious conditions, such as oral cancer.
- Treat oral health problems early, sparing you the time and expense of more extensive treatment.
The investment you make in a healthy smile will pay dividends for many years to come.
Our comprehensive dental exam includes:
- Examination of teeth and gums | We carefully check for signs of tooth decay, tooth wear, mobility, periodontal (gum) disease, and other potential health problems.
- Cleanings (a.k.a. prophylaxis) | We thoroughly remove accumulations of calculus, tartar, plaque, and polish and floss your teeth, leaving them fresh and gleaming.
- Diagnostic x-rays | We evaluate x-rays to detect any decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Check current restorations | We check your existing fillings, crowns and bridges to assure they're in good shape and functioning properly.
- Oral hygiene consulting | We review and discuss any special oral hygiene aids that we feel will help keep your smile healthy, such as electric toothbrushes, fluoride rinses, cleaning aids, antibiotic therapy, etc.
- TMJ evaluation | We evaluate your bite, jaw joints and muscles, as well as signs of wear and tear that can lead to more serious problems. Oral cancer screening | We examine your entire mouth – including your lips, tongue, cheeks and throat for any signs of oral cancer.